Monday, May 09, 2005

High School

My alma mater was ranked #208 according to Newsweek's complete list of the top 1,000 high schools in the United States. This is shocking news, because I always heard that it ranked very high every year. I looked at last year's report and it was ranked #77!!! That seems kind of low, too. What happened!?!?

I went to two different high schools. During my freshman and sophomore years, I went to William Fremd High School. I was crazy enough to go through the rankings and I found Fremd ranked at #672. Higher than our rival school Palatine. Yeah! Anyways, after my sophomore year, I moved to New York and went to Scarsdale High School. It was tough switching schools during high school. Not only that, I had to move from the Midwest to the East Coast. Looking back, I'm thankful for the experience but it was a difficult adjustment to make. I like New York but I got to say that I didn't feel welcome.

The other day when I helped my roommate with his high school reunion committee with their mailing, it made me think about my high schools. I will probably never attend my high school (or college) reunions. It's too freaking far, for one thing. I also never made any friends that were close enough for me to stay in touch, except for my one friend who now lives in New York. She was a year ahead of me, but we were great friends :)

I always wonder what it would have been like to go to high school in Japan. I had a group of Japanese friends that I hung out with through junior high and high school, and they all went back to Japan for either high school or college. I hear stories, but it's not like I actually went to school there. I thought about studying abroad, but I forget why I didn't do it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ore wa tomodachi jyanai noooooo~~~~? heheh

Hiroko said...

Mochiron! We didn't go to the same high school, though. Hell, I didn't realy know you till I graduated high school, although I guess we went the same school a loooooong time before that. What a small world.