Sunday, June 12, 2005

New Tournament

I went to watch a pool tournament today that was held in Hollywood. It was a different format than most other tournaments. They played what I believe is called total offense. I think there were 5-6 tables of different 10-ball layouts and each player goes around each table to run them out. There are rules for scratches, safeties, etc. It sounds easy but I could tell that it wasn't. After the first round, only one player scored a 10. These players were no ball bangers, either. About half were pro or semi-pro level players. If you miss a ball, it could mess up the layout or you might not be able to see the ball at all. I saw this happen a lot today. I think the tables were pretty much wide open, but were set up in a way so that it could become challenging. It was played kind of like golf. It was a different kind of competition, and I can't say if it was better than going one on one against an opponent. I like the format, though.

I sat in front of one table and saw how each person played the same layout. It was very interesting. I guess I could migrate (?) with the players like the way they do in golf....

No comments: