Friday, January 20, 2006

Salary

With some help from my friend, I looked up the average salary for MSWs in this area. It turns out that I'm getting significantly (like thousands!) lower than the average in this area. It didn't look very accurate, because I did not see any positions paying that high. In either case, I wasn't happy :( Social workers in general do not get the recognition that we deserve. This is true for other professions like teachers. Having a master's degree means that we are PROFESSIONALS, yet the salary often does not reflect this fact at all.

I mentioned this to one of my co-workers tonight in a casual conversation and he told me the highest possible salary for clinical social workers in the agency. I felt a little better after that...I guess I shouldn't forget that this is my first year out of graduate school.

No comments: