Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Sushi

I went out to dinner with my roommate to a sushi restaurant called Hakata in Santa Monica. He has been going there for over 20 years. This was my second time going there.

My favorite sushi is saba (mackarel). I don't know how I got into it, but I absolutely love it. and of course maguro. It seems like sushi rolls in california always have avocado, which I don't like....

When a group of Korean customers came in, the TV was switched to Telemundo for the Korea vs. Mexico soccer game. It was so much fun! The game was being played at the Coliseum. The place is supposed to hold about 100,000 people if I'm not mistaken. We guessed that about 80,000 of them were probably Mexicans from the LA area. The sushi chefs watched with us while the kitchen crew (mostly Mexicans) watched the game on their TV in the back.

I miss watching soccer on TV. In the US, soccer is considered a minor sports despite the large population of school-age kids who play.

Anyhoo, we had a great time having sushi and watching Korean and Mexican soccer in Spanish. This could only happen in LA.

No comments: