Sunday, April 16, 2006

Mixed Martial Arts and Helio Gracie

The UFC championships was on TV last night while I practiced for the upcoming pool tournament in May at a friend's house. It became so distracting for us that we had to stop playing and focus on the fights :p

A few years ago when I started watching more of these MMA style fights (because they were all around me!), I was very uncomfortable with it. I'm used to the punches and kicks, but other techniques like striking someone with their knee, head-stomping, etc. were too much for me. I've gotten used to it somewhat and I enjoy watching these tournaments like the UFC, Pride FC, and my favorite, K-1. I still find it disturbing when someone mounts his opponent and throw countless punches until they're unconscious (it's the referee's job to stop them, of course).

It seems like the lighter weight divisions are more popular in Japan, whereas in the US the heavyweights get the most attention. I too like the lighter weight divisions because they're faster and require better technique over strength (I could be wrong!!). In the end, I like to see a technician and not a pure muscle man.

I came across a quote by Helio Gracie, the founder of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu today. I really liked what he said. I've always been told this but it doesn't seem that way to me anymore, especially when I see MMA styles. Royce Gracie is scheduled to fight at the end of May and I hope he does well. I don't know anything about his opponent but I'm only supporting Royce because I like what he represents. To me, Royce is the kind of martial artist that BJJ is all about.

A Message from Master Helio Gracie:

"The Jiu-Jitsu that I created, was to give chances for weaker people to defend themselves from stronger people. This martial art became of such success that a Jiu-Jitsu for competition was created. I would like to make clear the I am in favor of practicing sports, as well as studying martial art techniques, in any style, as well as a good nutrition, sexual control and abstaining habits that may harm ones health. The problem is the creation of a Jiu-Jitsu style for competition with rules and inadequate bout times which favors the more trained, stonger and heavier practitioners. The goal of Jiu-Jitsu , is mainly, to benefit the weaker. My Jiu-Jitsu is an art of atodefense that does not accept certain rules and determined timing in bouts. These are the reasons for which I can't, with my presence, promote events, which results in a anti Jiu-Jitsu."_ Helio Gracie

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an incredible inspiration. Gracie promotes a strong sence of self for the smaller and weaker person. I have to say that I agree with his beliefs, and because of that qoute, I now jave my son enrolled in a local jui jitsu program.

Hiroko said...

wow thanks for your comment. I didn't even remember writing this till I read your comment. I tried Jiu Jitsu but it was a little bit hard for me. I hope your son enjoys it and learns what Helio Gracie wanted people to get from Jiu Jitsu.