Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Kids Playing Pool

A professional pool player told me tonight that no one else in his family plays pool, and that he doesn't want his kid(s?) to play either. He is probably one of the most successful pool players in the world, yet he does not want his children to play.

He was kind enough to give me a lesson tonight. Between games, we had small conversations about our family, pool, etc. I could tell how passionate he is about pool, but underneath it all, I saw a hint of sadness and pain that he's been through as a pool player. He isn't the only one for sure.

When I came back from Las Vegas, one of my kids said to me that it's cool that I have something I'm passionate about, but kids like her don't have anything. I told her that it's all about finding something you like to do, and getting better at it. While pool can make someone lonely, broke, and isolated, it could be a positive change for many people. I would love to see some of these kids playing pool rather than running the streets.

I thought to myself - what have I lost or sacrificed in my life for pool? A lot, but maybe not enough.

The guy told me that pool is his life.

I haven't fully committed to that life, and don't know if I ever will. I sure like it a lot.

Is it all worth it?

Who the hell knows.

1 comment:

Searcher said...

I think it's wonderful you found something to be passionate about. A lot of us roam on this planet, day by day, night after night, looking for that one thing that keeps us interested and occupied.