Wednesday, February 21, 2007

My Grandmother's Cousin

I'm sure I've blogged about this before, but I'm gonna do it again with an update.

Back in the 1920s, my grandmother's aunt married a Japanese (American?) man and immigrated to the US. They immigrated to LA and had two boys. When the executive order 9066 was signed in 1942, they were all forced to go to the camp in Alabama until 1945. When they were released, they moved back to the LA area.

I found out about all of this after consulting with someone from the Japanese American National Museum. I remembered my mother telling me that she had an aunt (great aunt?) who used to send her things from LA, but I heard about it again when I actually moved here. My grandmother then told me more about them and that she has actually tried to locate them with no luck. It would have been nearly impossible for them because they only knew their names and that they lived in LA.

With the help from the museum staff, I sent a letter to the 2nd son who still lives in the area. He may not want anything to do with me, but I had to try. Just the fact that they immigrated from Oshima, Yamaguchi, is amazing enough! Hope I hear from him...

No comments: