Monday, August 20, 2007

Mono Lake - Day 1

Long Live Mono Lake! Because I want to go every year, so it better be there.

Anyways, I went to Mono Lake again this year with the kids. This year was only 12 kids plus 3 staff. It was harder in a sense that they didn't seem to be able listen at all, but they weren't sneaky and I didn't have to worry about them running off having orgies or anything like that.

I read my blog from last year to see what I said about the trip. Apparently, I couldn't remember the name of the place we stayed at. It's called Cain Ranch. We slept outside but it was much warmer this year. Probably because we went a couple of weeks earlier. Good choice. I think we saw more animals this year, too. I saw rabbits, squirrels, chipmonks, frogs, deer, and a whole lot of birds. I heard a lot of coyotes at night and my coworker even saw them. Since this was the 2nd time around, I was better prepared for 3 minute showers and watering the plants outside. Somehow, I'm scrathed and bruised all over my legs.

We left a little late but everything going smoothly. Then I hear some whispering behind me. It turns out that we forgot macaroni for tuna casserole. and spaghetti. and cheese. and fruit. etc. etc. etc. HOW COULD WE FORGET MACARONI FOR A CASSEROLE?? All those bananas sitting on the dining room table...who's gonna eat them while we're gone?

Aside from forgetting all the food, everything was going fine and dandy until this happened...



The tread is complete gone!!! Oh no! We're in the middle of freakin' no where!
Luckily I didn't have to do anything because the only guy staff did all the work ;) We decided to stop in this town called Bishop and buy a tire. I know it was toward the end of their workday and all, but $177 for a tire??

So 8 hours and a billion bathroom stops later, we finally made it there. We did the water toast and a quick tour of the place before cooking dinner. With the high altitude, it took forever to boil water. What's on the menu? SPAGHETTI for 15 people...

The night walk was postponed till the next day. I was fine with it as long as we can still do it. It seemed like things were a little bit more relaxed than last year and it didn't feel hectic at night when going to bed. One kid did point out that they had to do so many more push-ups. That's cuz we kept messing up!

I woke up a little early and noticed that my cowoker was gone. I guess he walked around a bit. I figured I should stay and it was too cold for me to get out of my comfy sleeping bag anyways. So I took this picture from the sleeping bag. I forget which morning it was, but it was just absolutely gorgeous!

No comments: