Friday, February 13, 2009

How To Talk To A Dentist

I had another dentist appointment yesterday. They must be doing this root canal thing the cave man way, because I've already been to 4 appointments and I'm not done. Now she tells me she found another canal so it'll take longer. How many do I have??

Throughout my numerous appointments, I have learned so much about dentistry. Apparently, anesthetic shots work better on your bottom jaw and lasts longer. Both my crown and my root canal are for my upper molers and the anesthetics only last about 2 hours. Here's my usual pattern. 20 minutes into my appointment I start feeling sleepy lying down. Wake up at about 45 minutes. (Yes I fall asleep while she's working on my teeth). Then I'm awake for the next hour or so, then it starts to hurt because the anesthetics start to wear off. For the next hour, I'm in hell because she usually keeps going.

Yesterday, the professor came over to check her work. He started poking me with this weird metallic toothpick thingy and I twitched because it hurt. He was surprised and asked the student if I've been hurting for a while. She told him that I just started feeling the pain.

After he leaves, she asks me if the clamp is hurting. I tell her it hurts all the time. She was surprised and urges me to tell her whenever I'm in pain so we can stop. I TELL HER EVERY FREAKING TIME WHEN THE ANESTHETICS WEAR OFF. What is she not getting? she even told me that if I can tell her then she can give me another shot 1.5 hour into the appointment. I don't get it. It starts hurting after 2 hours every time, so why not just give me the shot then??

Another question is, HOW do I tell her? I usually have to utter some sound to get her attention and she'll just have to guess what I'm saying. What's an effective way of communicating with your dentist with tools sticking out of my mouth?

She took a bunch of x-rays yesterday and she forgot to put the x-ray vest on me (I'm not pregnant but still!). She kept forgetting so I made some noise and pointed at it, and she finally did it.

I should just text her like Ozzy.

3 comments:

Byronism said...

Where do you find these clips???

hilarious!! i mean, sad for you because you had to go through the pain, but stil.....

Hiroko said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hiroko said...

I saw it on TV. When I was writing this blog, it popped up in my head. What a brilliant idea!