Monday, March 09, 2009

Women In Pool (not swimming pool)

Last night, my roommate invited me to play in a tournament. A bunch of us were talking Wednesday night during league and told me that the tournament director there allegedly said to someone that the only reason women play pool is to find a husband. We got really excited about taking a bunch of female shooters to mess with him. Unfortunately, I was the only one that could go.

I was looking forward to find out who this schmuck is, but it turned out that I had met him before in another tournament a few years ago. My friend was complaining about him before because he wouldn't give me a good handicap. Hmm, maybe he gives me more credit than I thought he does for most women? He's the kind of director that gets really anal and controlling about his tournament. I guess sometimes that's the right thing to do, but it'd be nice if they could be fair.

It's no surprise that he made that kind of comment. He is a middle-aged, Caucasian man who probably can't really accept women doing things out of the "norm." I guess that was his explanation for why women play pool because he can't think of any other reason, or maybe it's part of his sick fantasy. Don't worry. I promise I won't hit on you.

I didn't see any women coming in there trying to pick up men, even though the room was full of "eligible bachelors." Besides, most people there were middle aged men like him, and definitely not "husband material." The few women that were there were either someone's girlfriend or wife. They probably assumed that I'm dating my friend because why else would women play pool!?!?!?! The only other girl that played in the tournament would unfortunately, probably, never get the credit she deserves even though she plays really well and probably loves the game, because she was there with her boyfriend (and he lost to a girl = me).

A man came up to our table and to say goodbye, but to me he said, "hey, you're a good shooter. Keep playing." My friends wondered if anyone would ever give compliments like that to them. A guy has to be exceptional to be respected, but a woman gets compliments just being in pool (and perhaps swimming pool, too).

No comments: