Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Prince


I haven't picked a name for the orange guy yet but in my mind he's "prince" because I've discovered how picky he is with his food. I've been feeding a few pellets a day and he hasn't eaten very much. It's not unusual for a Betta to not eat right away but I remembered that he ate the blood worms I fed him a few days ago. He's been spitting out the pellets (they're very good quality) even though it's almost been a week since I got him. I just gave him blood worms and he ate all of them. I see how you are...Rocky was picky at first but he eats everything I feed him now. OK fine I shouldn't compare.

As you can see, I have a CD on top of his bowl...why? Because he jumped out of the bowl a couple of nights ago.

Since I brought him home, I've been putting saran wrap very loosely on top because I have heard of Bettas jumping out. A couple of nights ago, I just happened to have it off for a little bit because I just fed him. I noticed that he was really energetic and swimming around like a crazy fish. The bowl was next to me and I was on the computer when I heard a splashing sound. I looked in the bowl and he wasn't there.

I found him outside of the bowl just a few inches away. He was struggling and was jumping around. I tried to grab him gently but he kept getting away. Finally I caught him by his fin but I didn't care because I had to get him back in the water.

When he went back in the bowl, he stayed at the bottom. I could tell he was in shock (even though he has the same face of course...not like he was crying or turning blue). He eventually started swimming around. The CD is perfect because it has a hole in it. If he jumps out of the small hole in the middle, I'd be amazed.

If he's not jumping our of the bowl, he's usually digging into the plastic stones in the bowl. I even found him buried in it one day. They're light so it's easy for him to stick his face in it and explore.

I can already tell he's going to be high maintenance.

2 comments:

Byronism said...

how long do bettas live?

Hiroko said...

I hear that they live for a few years up to about 5 years. Both Prince and Rocky are small so they should live for a while unless they get sick.