We woke up early to go see the sun rise. It was still dark when we got up but the Chinese folks were already up and taking pictures with their hardcore cameras. After we took pictures and enjoyed the view, we went to the same restaurant (the only one there) and had breakfast. Ham, rolls, coffee...nothing unusual.
We got there a little earlier than most people so we took the table next to the window. It was weird to see how everyone sat at the same table as last night. We don't have assigned seating, obviously. We can sit wherever we want. We were the only ones that moved. The view was really nice, actually.
From now on I'm going to carry a Sharpie with me on trips because my gel ink pen wasn't good enough to sign this wall. I managed to write my first name, last initial, and the date on the left, though. We stopped at the stores before we headed down the mountain. At the train station, there were two St. Bernards for tourists to take pictures with them. They looked kind of old and definitely didn't look like they would be able to rescue me (or care enough to do so).
We took the same train (the only train) down to Zermatt, then to Visp, then went past Lausanne and headed to Geneva. Geneva felt like windless Chicago. It was a nice city but didn't feel like an old city.
We walked around a bit but nothing really spectacular. We took the bus and explored the city a little bit then went to a restaurant called Edelweiss. This restaurant was on one of the guide books.
Edelweiss is inside a hotel with the same name and serves traditional Swiss cuisine. We ordered cheese fondue again and also meat fondue and white wine. The meat fondue is basically blocks of beef dipped in hot oil and eat it with different types of sauce. The food here was way better than the restaurant in Zermatt. Everything here was excellent. The waiter was a fun guy, too.
They even had live yodel and horn performances. They were letting the audience try playing the horn but they sounded just like the performers. The guy also played (?) this big bowl thing with something rolling inside. Not sure what that was.
The stores/restaurants were open a little later in Geneva. We walked around a bit and found a bar. Everyone smoked inside which was bugging me big time. I don't think I can live in Europe. It wasn't any different than here in LA except people were speaking in French and the music was outdated (like 80s). They were showing soccer games on TV, not football, baseball, or basketball. I sometimes check out pool halls/bars when I'm traveling but we didn't find any in Switzerland.
We didn't see any young kids drinking at the bar, but from what we read on the books the legal drinking age in Switzerland is 16 for beers and 18 for hard liquor. If I remember correctly, there is no legal age for smoking. I saw some younger kids smoking. We drove by a high school on our way to the airport the next day but we didn't see any kids smoking or doing anything crazy. They were all dressed pretty nice and no one had their pants sagging and their butts hanging, or girls dressed in extremely tight and revealing clothes (not just because it's cold).
I'm sure there are more I could share, but this pretty much wraps up my trip to Switzerland. Next time I'd love to see the eastern part of the country.
No comments:
Post a Comment