Saturday, September 25, 2010

RIP Ben

Dear Ben,

When I first started working after grad school, you were the first staff that I interacted with at my first board dinner.  It was so refreshing to hear your New York accent after moving to LA a couple of years back.  We talked about a bunch of things over Chinese food.  I had no idea then how silly you really are.  Looking back you were kind of reserved because we had just met.

Then about a year or two later, we ended up going on a trip together to Sacramento with Evelyn to participate in a conference.  You had that enormous suitcase for a 3-day trip.  I remember making fun of you. I guess big guys wear big clothes and therefore need big suitcases.  but it wasn't even full. 

I think we sat together on the plane on the way there.  I remember you telling me about your lovely wife Judy and your pet bunnies.  You also told me that your (great?)grandparents changed your last name so people wouldn't think they're Jewish.  You also talked about your experience in the agency and your recovery.  I was amazed that you quit "cold turkey."

When I told you I play pool, you said you used to play back in the day.  I don't think I really believed you.

You forgot one of your medications at home.  We decided to go look for a drug store to get the over-the-counter version of it.  I remember how we talked crap about Sacramento because we couldn't find a single drug store around.  The only Rite Aid we found was closed.  We gave up and went shopping instead.  That was fun...but maybe you were feeling really sick.

So this was our joke for a while.  Every time I ran into you, you would ask me to walk with you to go pick up your medication.

Then you also started asking me to play pool with him.  When we were at the TC we played a few games.  You were right.  You can shoot.  So now you would ask me "shoot a game?" every time I see you.

In fact, that's exactly what you said to me last time I saw you a few weeks ago.  I gave you a hug and said, "next time." 

I was supposed to go see you today but I was too late.  I'm so sorry I didn't make it.  We all miss you, and love you, and wish you were here.

I owe you a game. 

No comments: