Sunday, July 17, 2005

Burn those calories!

I helped my roommate paint the walls in our hallway today. The whole process took about two hours, with a couple of breaks in between.

While painting, I remembered an article I read the day before about daily activity and weight control. According to this article (from a newsletter that my friend gave me), a 150-pound person burns 153 calories by painting home's interior for 30 minutes! I decided to look up how many calories a person burns in Tae Kwon Do...According to this website, a 125-pound person burns 283 calories, and a 175 pound person will burn 396 calories, in 1 hour. So...maybe a 150-pound person burns 340 calories...(I'm guessing...). In 1 hour of painting, a person burns 306 calories.

The difference is only 34 calories?????

It's hard for me to believe that painting could burn almost just as much calories as Tae Kwon Do, but I'm exhausted from it today...I actually did both today. So I burned...about...225x2+100x2=750? No wonder I'm hungry.

The article listed several other activities, such as ironing, playing the piano, mowing the lawn, and chopping wood. I should just chop wood everyday...or watch TV everyday? In 30 minutes, a person burns 34 calories by watching TV. If I watch 5 hours of TV a day and not eat at all, I can replace Tae Kwon Do?

2 comments:

yolie said...

just a random blogger here....I've been trying to keep track of calories too...I found a neat site www.fitday.com It is basically a journal that keeps track of your calories consumed and calories burned. It's really neat....you should check it out

Hiroko said...

Hi Yolie. I skimmed through it quickly. Looks like a coolt site. Thanks!!