Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Drivers License Test

Today was the dreaded driving test for my commercial drivers license for my job. It's been rainy these days in LA and it was raining HARD this morning. Great.

We found out last week that our van was not up to date with registration, so we had to exchange the van with another unit, then drive all the way down to Torrance on local streets, not freeways. With rain and careless mistakes by other staff (the key for the other van was missing), the whole process took about 2 hours!

The test for commercial drivers license are broken down into two parts (at least that's all I need for my license). The first part, which is the more difficult part, is the pre-trip inspection. We are required to go through the entire inspection process by checking the oils, fluids, exteriors, etc. step by step. The second part is the actual driving.

I finally got there, and checked in. I was able to re-take my picture for the license. I hated the other one. Yay! My name finally got called and I walked outside with the examiner. I was sort of nervous but not extremely so. Then he asked me a question which nearly made me faint. He asked me for the medical card, which indicates that I have taken the physical exam and I'm OK to drive the vehicle. I didn't know I was supposed to bring it! I told him I don't have it with me. I wasn't even sure if I kept it. The DMV person just handed it back to me and didn't say anything about it after the written test. Without the frickin' green paper, I wasn't allowed to drive, so I couldn't take the driving test!!!!

He let me take the pre-trip inspection test, though. It had to be in the rain... fabulous. I don't think he was paying attention the whole time, which made me kinda mad. I made sure I made eye contact with him so that he was listening. When I got inside the van to check the interior (dashboard, gauges, etc.) I kind of blanked out. I had to think really hard before I said anything. I told him at one point I was finished. He asked me, are you sure??? Well..ok since you ask I guess I'm not done. I thought a little harder and remembered a few more things. We even sat there silently while I tried to remember what I missed. He asked me, "Was that all the lights?" "What else about the windshield?" etc. etc. He was so nice!!!!!!

I missed 7 items, 1-2 of which I know I covered but because I wasn't loud enough I don't think he heard me. My coworkers did remind me about that. In any case, I barely passed, but the important thing is that I passed!

I have to go back tomorrow morning for the driving test.......

2 comments:

ニューヨーク在住日本版パンダ said...

ganbareyoooo daijyoubu dakara neee

Hiroko said...

daijoubu ja nakatta~ I failed today!!!! ahhh! oh well. next time :)