Saturday, April 29, 2006

Termination

In counseling/therapy, there comes a time when the counselor/therapist must say goodbye to client and send him/her off to be on their own. It can be due to completion of treatment or clients' desire to discontinue.

One of my clients ran away last night. He was my first client since I started 9 months ago. He and I started there during the same week. He was no where near being ready to be out there on his own, but he has come a long way.

I had no idea this was going to happen last night. There was always a possibility, but I did not pick up on any signs. Others agreed that he did not show any signs of it throughout the day. It's hard not to think that I could have done more to help him. On the other hand, I know that there is a problem when I'm working harder than my clients.

Wishing you the best...I will always remember you.

No comments: