
The boat you see on the left is Betty-O.
Honestly, when I first saw it, I was worried. We went on this boat to go deep sea fishing. I don't know what I was expecting, but this boat...honestly...looked a little scary. It definitely made me think that some of us will get violently sick.
After giving each kid a couple pieces of ginger candy (supposed to help prevent sea sickness), the boat left the marina. Some of them had never been on a boat, so they were super excited. I have, but I didn't know what to expect!
We found a spot not too far out (could still see the land) and each one of us got a fishing pole and started fishing. We had a choice of live bait or pieces of squid. I started with squid, but somehow lost it, so decided to try live bait. I reeled it in every once in a while to make sure the bait was still there. Sure enough, the only thing that was left was the fish head. How annoying!!! The sea lions kept eating them. They were kind enough to leave a pice of it, but it really does me no good. They looked all cute, some of them swimming around in couples and kissing...awwwwwwww GO SOMEWHERE ELSE AND LEAVE MY BAIT ALONE!!!
Somehow (I decided to just drop it straight down and leave it there) I managed to protect my bait from the sea lions and caught my first fish. It was this ugly looking fish with poisonous spikes. I forget what it's called, but it was kinda funny. I always seem to catch unusual looking fish. The first fish I ever caught was a catfish. Kinda weird because I was hoping to catch a nice looking (?) one.
Anyways, I was glad that I finally caught one without the sea lions getting in the way. The battle with the sea lions continued...the kid next to me lost his catch because the sea lion grabbed the fish right in front of him!! It was heartbreaking...
Soon I felt my next catch. This one was much stronger. My arms were tired from holding the pole for so long that I could barely hold onto it as the fish fought to get away. I had to ask the guy next to me to hold it while I tried to reel it in. I know this make it sounds like I caught a whale or something, but it obviously was not that big...it felt like it, though. It was a Calico bass (I think that's what it's called).
I cought a couple more but they were too small so we had to let them go.
Some of the kids got sick about halfway into the trip, but they each got a chance to catch at least one. A nice trip overall :)
1 comment:
Awesome.. just curious how far out in the water did the boat take you? One of the main things that scares me about the sea is sharks. Dam Jaws..
Post a Comment