Tuesday, October 03, 2006

V for Vendetta/Lakehouse

Just happened to see two movies back to back...

1. V for Vendetta

I asked my roommate what he thought about it before I saw it. He wasn't thrilled about this movie for some reason. He said it wasn't bad. I had to put the captions on to understand what the heck was going on. I guess I'm a little slow when it comes to complicated (or at least I thought so) plot, and couldn't really understand when they're whispering and all. Since it takes place in London, I couldn't tell what's unusual and what's not. The fact that the movie takes place in the future was very subtle, because it has a feel of the past. I was totally confused when that one guy answers the phone, then uses the same device to change the channel on the TV. Nevertheless, I thought this movie was really cool! I actually watched it twice. Natalie Portman did great, although I thought Evey was similar to Mathilda in "The Professional."

2. The Lake House

I always wanted to watch this when it first came out. I know it's a chick-flick but I was very curious. I loved the fact that this movie takes place in Chicago. As freezing as it was, I miss the winter in Chicago. I'm sure I wouldn't like it, but there's something very nice about it. Anyhoo, the idea of the magic mailbox was a little cheezy, but they pulled it off really well. I read about the original Korean version, then it made sense. No American movie would make a movie based on a magic mailbox. The original sounds better, though, as they always do. There's apparently fewer encounters in the original version. In either case, even this version kept me wondering what would take place next. Pretty cool! One thing though. The guy waited for freaking 4 years for her!!! Dang...

No comments: