Wednesday, March 21, 2007

What's My Name!?

There is an annoying phenomenon occurring at work lately. My coworkers and clients are having a hard time getting my name right because they keep getting it mixed up with my Japanese coworker's name. I don't know if the same happens to her, but it's been happening quite a bit to me in the past few days. Sometimes they would just call me the wrong name, and other times they would refer to the other one using my name, as they talk to me. WTF?

The simplest explanation I came up with is the mere fact that my name is unusual and difficult to say for most Americans, whereas my coworker's name is relatively easier to pronounce. I think many of them are also grouping us in their head as "the Japanese counselors" and aren't quick enough in differentiating the names. They need a little boost in their neurotransmitters, I tell ya.

I brainstormed ways to fix this problem.

1. Positive Reinforcement
According to the learning theories, the best way to bring out good behavior is through rewarding the person every time good behavior occurs. I shall bring cookies to give them every time they say my name correctly. Hopefully they'll learn in time. They're not dogs, so it'll be a challenging task to actually find something rewarding enough and continue for a long period of time. I guess I could simply thank them for saying the right name.

2. Modeling
Another effective way is to teach them through modeling. Maybe I could start referring to myself in 3rd person and use my name instead of personal subjective pronouns like "I" or "me." It'll be a little freaky (like that murderer from "Silence of the Lambs" except he used "it" for the girl), but it would be a great way to remind them.

3. Negative Reinforcement
I could also punish bad behavior. I could be really mean and do what Muhammad Ali did during one of his fights. Every time they say the wrong name, I could yell "What's my name, fool?" and punch them. I'm better at kicking and that should work, too. It's crucial to make sure I don't go overboard because knocking them out would defeat the purpose. This method might help in making sure that they say the right name, but there's no proof that it'll help them remember the right name. It also goes against my nature, but I just wanted to mention it as a case study.

4. Giving LEs (I suppose this is Negative Reinforcement, too)
At our facility, we have what's called learning experiences. As opposed to punishments for bad/unwanted behaviors, residents are required to complete tasks that are supposed to teach them good behavior. They also serve as reminders that they should not make the same mistake again. Maybe I should have them write my name down 500 times. Or I could have them recite it every day. This way, they shall never forget my name. Still doesn't mean that they will use the right name.

5. Extinction
Every time they say the wrong name, I could simply ignore them. Hopefully they get the idea and they'll slowly stop using the wrong name.

I should try #5. #2 should be fun, too.

No comments: