Monday, October 01, 2007

What's Really Going On With My Shoulder

Monday was my first follow-up appointment after the surgery last Thursday. As the nurse took the stitches out and put some tapes on the cuts, the doctor explained in detail what he found in my shoulder using the pictures that were taken during the surgery. He gave me 3 index sheets showing 39 images! I don't know how other people would feel in this situation, but I was actually kinda excited and really wanted to keep the pictures. Sure enough, those were my copies.

The first thing we talked about was the looseness in my shoulders.

According to the doctor, I have much bigger gap between the socket and...whatever the white thing is at the bottom (ligament?) than other people with normal shoulder joint. This is what's making my shoulder very loose and the joint almost coming out of my socket.

This here shows the actual tear. The official dianogsis was torn rotator cuff. I don't know why he didn't just say so the day of the surgery (he told me that there was a tear on the ligament and the muscle). I'm not a doctor so I don't really know what I'm looking at, but it looks like a mess! A bunch of pieces flying around...
So how do you fix a tear?

Tie up the pieces together? Seems awfully simple...
I start physical therapy next week. Until then, I have to wear the frickin' immobilizer for a few weeks, at least until my next appointment with the doctor in 3 weeks!!! I'm doing an exercize to start moving my arm a bit by bending over and dangling my arm in a pendulous motion. I can already see progress in one day. Pretty cool. It's kind of a good pain, too. Can't wait to play pool...

No comments: