I've always wanted to take the kids to play pool, but I can't find a place where I'd feel safe taking a group of teenagers. I sure can't take them to bars, and most pool halls are not so kids-friendly. Hard Times is actually full of young kids, but it's too far.
Today I had a chance to play with and watch some of them play. I could tell right away which ones have played and which ones haven't, and which one likes trying new things and which ones are too scared to make a fool out of themselves.
As a female player myself, I really wanted to encourage the girls to play. The boys were immediately drawn to it, but the girls were more shy about it. They also seemed like they thought they weren't supposed to play (except the loud one). Really interesting how gender roles play out in the pool world.
There were a couple of them that had parents/relatives with pool tables. They have good stance, bridge, and don't go crazy with their strokes. Those who have no experience had the most intriguing style of play. They're probably great hustling moves, but they look too embarassing to even try. One girl held the cue like she's going to shaft-jump the cue ball and her bridge hand was in the air. The other girl aimed the tip way off to the side of the ball (maybe not even close to the ball), but somehow manage to hit the ball and make it go forward. Absolutely fascinating.
This really showed their personalities, too.
The shy kid actually looked confident because he's played before and knows what he's doing. One girl already knew she wouldn't have the patience to play and I agree, although I wanted to make her play anyways. The macho/narcissistic guys couldn't even stand being around it because they don't want to look bad if they had to try. The family-oriented kid was helping out other players. Those "know-it-all" guys were arguing about the rules, not realizing that they're both wrong. The athletic girl learned quickly because she's not afraid to try new things. The quiet girl immediately got a boy helping, until I yelled at them for getting too close. The kid that always talks too much was the only one mouthing off to another kid that he'll crush him. The boy who has something to prove kept asking me to play head to head. The intellectual guy did alright but seemed too afraid to shoot hard and was overthinking everything. The goofy kid actually did great because he has no shame.
As for me, I was so self-conscious that I was missing left and right. I missed an easy 8-ball and they thought I missed on purpose. ...I wish.
3 comments:
HAHA ur blogs are funny. i am guessing which kid ur talking about. it's fun =)
finally took them, huh? good! I'm trying to figure out who is who by the way you described them.
jennchun>Hey! I see you just started bloggin' too. Keep it up!
Byronism>It was actually at TC. I got there early and we had nothing to do so we started playing before everyone else got there. They were asking for a pool table...
Post a Comment