Saturday, September 13, 2008

Last Day

Today was my last day at work. I decided to move to a new unit in the same company. When the decision was made, I wasn't really feeling stressed out or burnt out. In fact, I was probably having the best time since I started 3 years ago. It just so happens that an opportunity came up and I took it. Maybe it's better this way...to go out when I'm ahead. probably better not to wait till things go bad.

Telling the kids about leaving was very hard. I wasn't expecting such a big reaction. The counselor-client relationship at that job is often love-hate. I guess there's more love in our love-hate relationship than I thought there was.

The kids decided to throw me a pizza party. With such short notice, they did a pretty good job of making it fun. Dinner was a lot of fun...I had been so busy that I can't remember the last time I sat down and ate with them. well actually it's not because I was busy. I started getting sick eating their food so I stopped. I forgot how much fun it is to sit down and eat with them.

Then we had a short group to process my departuer. One of the kids had the nerve to ask if he could go to the bathroom during dinner >:( I have no choice but to let him go...then he came back with a cake! He totally got me.

It was funny to hear how so many of the girls thought I was a bitch at first. I guess first impression doesn't matter as long as I leave a better impression when I leave. It made me wonder what the heck I do to give them that impression, though. anothing thing I heard from staff is that the kids are convinced I'm a lesbian. Why??

After group, they performed a short skit/puppet show using a bunch of my pictures. No real story or other characters...just all me. Hilarious! they cut out a picture of Mathew Mcconaughey and made him my surfer boyfriend in the skit. LOL

Technically, this is my last day at OA, but I'll see them all tomorrow, then maybe next week, and the week after that for sure. I'm not sure if I could have left to another agency and be totally cut off from them. That would be the normal thing to do, but I'm just thankful that I get to stay somewhat connected to them.

Thank you my OA family...RK, CD, AL, and all the other kids and their families I've worked with/met. Thank you Byron, Patty, Yuki, Monica, Andrew, Jimmy, Tom, Venora, Jessica, David, Susie, Christine, Gary, Haylin, Kevin, Ariana, Leroy, Fern, Arjuna, Zorana, Lashawnda, Joyce, Julie, Nick...gosh I hope I didn't forget anyone because I tell the kids to include everyone when they make a speech.

2 comments:

Byronism said...

It has been an honor and a pleasure working with you. I consider myself lucky to be given the opportunity to learn from your experience. I'm glad I was walking down the hallway when you came to be interviewed that day.

Thank you for always busting your butt for the OA kids, even though sometimes they didn't deserve it.

Always remember: THERE'S ALWAYS TIME FOR LUNCH!

Hiroko said...

Thank you Byron. That's exactly what I thought, too. how funny that you just happen to be walking down the hall and I end up working at OA. for 3 years!

Well, NOW there's time for lunch...haha