Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Walkinig to Work

Yesterday was my official day 1 at the new job.

When I was hired 3 years ago for my previous job, I distinctly remember being told on the phone that the office "is very close to my house." Sure enough, I was delighted to find out that it was ony 1.7 miles according to Mapquest.

This new office is even closer. Mapquest says it's 0.85 miles.

So I decided to walk to work on the days I don't need my car. My doctor called this the "California Dream."

I guess it would be easier in a place like LA than other parts of the country because it hasn't rained in months! I stepped out of my front door and felt the cool air as I started walking through the residential area. I try not to walk the bigger streets because the cars are noisy and I don't like being watched (who cares?).

But the cool air only lasted for so long. Soon the sun started to feel hot (the Los Angeles curse?). The walk is less than 20 minutes for me so it's not that bad, but when I get to the office I started sweating like I just ran. My hair is frizzy as if I jumped off an airplane. How does it get so messy from just walking??

It was not a pretty sight, but it felt great.

I don't know how long this would last, though. Soon it'll get dark by 5 PM and might not be a good idea for me to be walking. What if a client sees me and starts following me home? Not cool.

I thought about this after my conversation with a graduate from the program. He clients claims that he knows where I live because he saw me pulling out in my car one day. He had very good guesses as to which street I live on. He even said jokingly that I'll open my door one day and he'll be standing there!! I laughed at him, but it's not so funny if this were to happen for real.

We'll see...

1 comment:

Byronism said...

I meant to call you yesterday! How was your official first day?!?

Let's do lunch one day...