When people find out I'm from Japan, some people try to show off how much they know about my motherland. If they've been there, that usually ends up being the focus of our conversations. It shouldn't bother me, because all they are trying to do is find something we have in common to talk about. I get annoyed sometimes because there is a whole lot of other stuff about me.
Another thing they ask is if I know a Japanese person that they know, as if I know everyone in Japan. I can understand this if there was some other reason for asking. For example, I was asked if I know Dave Spector, an American TV personality in Japan. It was interesting for me to hear his story because most people in US have never heard of him, but this guy actually met him. I can see why the guy wanted to ask me.
Anyhoo, most of the time I really don't mind. In fact I enjoy hearing what they thought about it. It just throws me off when people ask me weird stuff as if I'm supposed to know.
Tonight during league a guy playing on the table next to ours approached me and introduced himself. Here's how the conversation went.
Guy: Hi, I'm J****.
Me: Hi I'm Hiroko.
Guy: Hiroko...Japanese?
Me: Yeah.
Guy: Oh! Do you know...oh I can't think of her name. She's famous...hold on let me think.
He walks back to his table and finishes playing his game. He comes back and says...
Guy: Junk Koh!
Me: (???)
Guy: That's her name. Junko (it's actually pronounced june-koh). SHE'S A FAMOUS ROLLER SKATER IN JAPAN.
Famous roller skater!? Not a singer, or an actress, but a roller skater??
Well, I don't know her, and I don't know if she even exists. That was the end of our conversation.
No comments:
Post a Comment