Thursday, August 20, 2009

New Home


Rocky got his new tank today. I ordered a 3 gallon tank online and set it up yesterday. I let the water run for a whole day before I put him in. My coworkers helped me set it up.

I have a heater in the tank because it can get quite cold in my office in the winter, but it seems like it'll be too hot during the day right now. I got a timer for it so it turns on at night and off in the morning.

I put him in a bag first and slowly let him get used to the water. As soon as I put him into the tank out of the bag, he started swimming around. He explored the tank for a while and seemed to really like it! He was never that active in the small tank but he's constantly moving around in the new tank. He started blowing bubbles everywhere and apparently it's what male bettas do when they are ready to mate. It's also a sign that he's happy and healthy. Yay!!


I don't know what I look like from inside the tank, but he'll come toward me when I look inside the tank. when I walk in to my office in the morning, he'll swim around as if he's saying hello (or so I wish). He wasn't eating at all before but I got him new pellets and blood worms and he's been eating well.

I hope the water doesn't get too hot for him tonight. So far the new home is working out well for him.

2 comments:

Byronism said...

What's that in the tank? a flower pot??

Hiroko said...

Yup. I've been reading this Betta forum and they recommend having some kind of hiding area/cave for them. He doesn't seem to care most of the time but I sometimes see him going in and out.