Monday, November 30, 2009

RIP OG


I bought OG in mid September.  My original plan was to have him share a tank with Prince O with a divider between them.  OG was very calm even though Prince O would constantly flare at him.  He was like an old man staring down at a little kid.

OG had to go because Prince O wasn't getting along with him.  I decided to keep Prince O because he was with me a bit longer than OG was.  At the time I didn't even have a name for him.

My coworker graciously adopted him and named him OG.  Just like me, he thought he acted like an old guy.  He never moved around much probably because his fins made it really hard for him to swim around.  So he stayed in a modest home while his owner looked for the perfect home for him.

Our office building gets very cold even during the day.  Bettas are tropical fish and therefore needs warm water.  OG passed over the weekend because it probably got too cold for him.  He was with us for only 2 months.  :(

My other two boys are doing well.  Rocky got fin rot but he never lost energy or his spirits.  He would swim back and forth all excited even though his fins were rotting away.  Prince O is still very picky and high maintenance.  While I was in Switzerland, I asked my roommate to feed him, which he did.  When I came home, I saw a bunch of pellets in the filter.  He probably didn't eat the food and it was sucked in by the filter.  When I fed him, he spit it out as if to say, "Where the F were you?"  It took him several days for him to start eating normally.  Now he devours them like he's never eaten before.

I told my roommate about this and his response was, "what, he doesn't like black guys?"

Bettas seem to recognize faces, at least distinguish between different people.  They both seem to recognize me, and Rocky seems to know my coworker who visits him often.  I'll be gone a little longer this time so I hope they both survive.  I don't want to find them floating when I get back :(

No comments: