Sunday, January 10, 2010

Identity Theft

I got a call from the bank during lunch on Friday.  I knew something was up because it wasn't one of those random automated calls.

The woman on the phone told me that there are a couple of suspicious transactions and she wanted to make sure I was the one that made the purchases.  There were two transactions at Rite Aid in Canton, Ohio.  OHIO!?  That definitely wasn't me.

Thankfully the bank caught it right away and blocked it.  They also canceled the debit card and will send a new one next week.  I'm supposed to get the money back, too.  I don't know why, but the hacker(s) only spend $5.  Two transactions of $2.00 and $3.00.  ????????????

It's a good thing that the damage was so small, but it left me wondering why they only spent $5.  and what the hell is in Canton, Ohio?

I asked around about this and my friend from college told me that she got a letter from our school saying the computers on campus were hacked into and some of our personal info were stolen!!!!!  This makes sense now, because Canton isn't too far away from our school.  I checked all my other accounts and they are OK so far. 

....what can you buy for $2.00 and $3.00?

Anyways, this is making me feel really paranoid because they didn't steal my debit card number.  They probably have my SS# and whatever else the school had on record.  Can they continue stealing from me as long as they have my SS#?  What else can they do? 

Because the idiot(s) spent my money, I can't spend my money until I get my new card.  I can use a check book but who the hell accepts checks nowadays?  I'd feel like an old lady whipping out my checks at grocery stores.  They probably aren't safe either.  Grrrrrr!!!!!!!

4 comments:

zorana ngai said...

oh my gosh! that's horrible hiroko! and funny that they only spent five dollars! maybe they wanted to check if the card worked at first by buying something small... but how did they buy anything without your card??? that is SO WEIRD! and what? you're from OHIO??? lol

Hiroko said...

Yeah I'm still trying to figure out how they were able to shop at a store without the actual card. It didn't look like an online purchase. I'm not from Ohio LOL!!!

Byronism said...

hmmm. maybe a beer and a pack of cigs?

Hiroko said...

Byron> but exactly $2.00 and $3.00? No tax in Ohio!?