Thursday, August 19, 2010

Personal Training

I hate weight lifting.

My gym membership expired in June and I didn't renew it because I didn't like going there anymore.  It was too far but the location near me is way too small and crowded.  I looked into other gyms but most were too expensive.  Then my friend was talking about her membership at a local gym that was very affordable (but she has some kind of family package) so I decided to go check it out. 

I purposely went to the one a bit further away because it has a swimming pool.  I used to take classes as a kid and I always wanted to do it again.  At the lobby the guy at the counter greeted me by saying hello in Korean.  I kind of ignored him because I thought he was being silly.  The woman that was supposed to help me (I came in with 1 week guest pass but I guess they try to get you to sign up right away) wasn't around so this guy ended up helping me out.  He saw my name and said hello in Japanese this time. 

I explained to him that I haven't been working out in a while and that I want to start running or swimming again.  We got into a discussion about body fat and since mine was rather high (I tend to have lots of fat even though I'm thin) he told me I have to lift weights.  I argued with him for a while as he explained how body fat works.  I HATE weights.  It was always hard for me with my crappy shoulders.  I really just wanted to swim, but he insisted that I lift weights because it's like brushing your teeth - you have to do it even if you don't like it. 

FINE.

This guy is good.  He got me signed up that day and even stayed for a 45 minute workout.  Kind of surprising because I hate lifting weights, but it's much easier when there's someone there with you.

So the deal is that he shows me how to use the weight machines and help me monitor my body fat.  Our plan was to check the body fat again in 3 weeks.  Did I mention I hate weights? 

He lets me go at my own pace, but it seems to be surprising even for him how little I can lift.  It doesn't take a whole lot for me to reach my limit.  We once tried to see how much I could bench press.  My max was 12 lbs!!!!!!  A child can lift more than I can.  If my cat were still alive, I couldn't lift him.  I have no strength in my upper body.  I do better with legs. 

So after 3 weeks we checked the body fat.  Mind you, I had ginormous meals the day before.  We had an event at work and I ate a combination of Korean, Indian, and Pakistani food.  Probably very high in calories.  Then I had Hawaiian chicken and macaroni salad.  Even then I had lost about 1% body fat.

The biggest challenge now isn't even the weights anymore.  It's my eating habits.  I can't say that I'm doing that much better in that area (I love carbs) but today it was another 1% lower.  So I've lost a total of 2% in over 3 weeks.  It's getting easier every time I go.  I haven't tried any of the classes yet even though I do much better in group exercises.  I might try the cycle class.  I'm sure it's gonna kick my butt but I really liked the music the instructor picks. 

I still hate lifting weights (I think).

2 comments:

Byronism said...

good for you! i have to start exercising...maybe i'll use you as inspiration!

Hiroko said...

I'm definitely seeing some result...even though I would probably do much better if I watched what I eat a little more! You know I love to eat...I would have to pass on that 4 finger burger for now.