Thursday, August 26, 2010

Smartphones

I used to have the dumbest smartphone.  I remember how exciting it was when I first bought it.  I actually didn't even try it in the stores because all the ratings were great and no one really complained about it.  Once I started using it, though, there were so many problems it was ridiculous.  It turned out that my friend and I had the same phone (he was pissed when he found out I got the same one - I didn't know), I used to call him to find out how to use it.  He loved the phone and wasn't having any problems with it. 

I think Windows Mobile was just too hard for me to use.  I guess it's possible that I was the dumb one, not the phone.  I also couldn't hear the voicemail messages without using the speaker phone.  I could go on and on with all the problems I had with it...but now I dumped that one and got myself a new phone.

For months, I contemplated switching to the iPhone.  Most of my Japanese friends use an iPhone because you can use Japanese text.  You can even text-message in Japanese (only if you also have an iPhone, I believe).  The rumors about Verizon selling iPhones never became true, so I got fed up with waiting and decided to go with an Android phone.  iPhone would have been nice, but I really don't want to switch carriers.

So I just bought the newest one out there right now...Droid 2.  Most of these smartphones are just too smart for me (except my last one) but so far it's not giving me any headaches.  Maybe not as easy to use as an iPhone but I'm having fun with it.  It's fun trying out the apps..even the ones I probably don't really use.  I downloaded the apps that lists DSM-IV codes even though I don't need it for my job.  I just felt like I should have one as a therapist!!

I'm also not going to be leveling pool tables but what the hell.  There is actually an app for flipping a coin in case you don't have one on you.  I don't think I'll ever use it in a real game but hey...it didn't cost anything.  I don't know what I need the metal detector for but I was curious because I read it actually works (some of our clients do bring knives but we ask them to get rid of it).  I just found an electric razor app...but obviously not a real one.  I'm sure there are a ton of useless apps out there.

Now I get to read all my e-mail in Japanese, and read Japanese websites on my phone, but it's annoying that text messaging doesn't work.  Maybe it works with another Android user? 

No comments: