Thursday, December 09, 2010

Big Sur Day 1

My first winter camping trip was in Big Sur.  We were in the southern part of Big Sur called Kirk Creek campground.  I figured it was going to be very cold, but what the heck.  I bought all that stuff to go camping over the summer.  Might as well get some more use out of them.

My friend and I meant to leave earlier in the day but work got in the way and didn't get out of LA till after 6 PM.  Most of the drive was pretty easy until we got to that windy road near Big Sur.  Cool thing about driving through the mountains is the wildlife.  We saw a cute little (not so little actually) dear on the side of the road. 

We got to the campsite a little after midnight.  I was afraid that it would be really cold while we put up the tent, but it was actually very nice.  I guess it's warmer to camp near the beach than in the middle of the mountains.  The sky was clear and I could see lots of starts.  It was dark so we were kind of lazy on putting the stakes to hold the tent in place.  Not much more we could do though because my tent is kind of cheap.  The weather forecast said it would rain.  I survived the rain at Mt. Whitney so I was hoping that I would be fine this time as well.

Well we survived the rain alright.  As soon as we said good night, it started raining.  None of it came inside the tent.  But what I didn't think about was the wind.  Lots of wind.  So windy that part that attaches to the ring to hold it down ripped!!  So windy that it literally felt like someone was pushing it from outside.  It was so noisy that we couldn't sleep anymore.  Even then we slept in till 8 AM.

Again we thought it was gonna be cold so we brought soup for breakfast and lots and lots of firewood.  Soup was yummy, but we didn't need the fire.  After breakfast we hiked down to the beach, then drove to Julia Pfeiffer State Park for some more hiking.




continued to day 2...

No comments: