I didn't do so well at the women's tournament over the weekend. 5th-6th place is still good, but with a much smaller field and some good players missing, I can't say it was a great result. Preferably I would have practiced a little more but work was a bit tough the weeks leading up to this tournament. Things just weren't going my way either. I kept messing up the 9-balls by hanging them in the pocket, scratching etc. My opponents were not as shaky. I also find it kind of creepy that two of my buttons came off in the middle of a match (not because I ate a lot). It just wasn't my day.
One of the biggest factors in my poor performance had to be the lack of exercise. I haven't been going to the gym as often as I once was. Maybe once a week or once every 10 days. I just couldn't fit it in my schedule anymore and I didn't try that hard to go either. I actually did try working out before work, which to my surprise felt really great. It only happened once, though. I overslept the other 2 times :(
I wasn't breaking that bad but the balls just weren't going in. I was missing something. My neck and shoulder also started to hurt after 2 matches or so. This never happened when I was working out regularly.
So I decided to work out more consistently even if it meant shaving a few hours of pool playing time. It was apparent how much exercise improved my game. but the dilemma still remains. When do I have the time to work full time, practice pool, exercise, and still have somewhat of a social life?
It would be so easy if I could combine these. I'm not talking about playing professionally. If pool itself was an exercise, that would make my life easier. I guess I should have picked up a more aggressive sport or continued with TKD.
but I can't help but wonder, how many calories does pool playing burn?
I found a website that lets you calculate how many calories you burn based on your height, weight, age, and gender.
I got 81 calories (for 1 hour). This looks consistent with some of the other websites I found. Most based it on a 150lb person.
Well this is actually pretty good news...I would have guessed that it would be much lower...except this only means it burns calories. It can't replace lifting weights, which is what I have to do for my neck/shoulder. Doh.
No comments:
Post a Comment