Monday, March 14, 2011

Ganbare Japan

So everyone knows about the earthquake and tsunami in Japan on 3/11/11.  I actually didn't know until the next day because I was on my flight to Newark.  When I landed, I had a whole bunch of messages on my phone.  At first I couldn't understand what they were talking about.  What earthquake?  Where?  When?

My mother had sent me an e-mail about my father and my brother.  My brother works in Tokyo but my father also happened to be there that day.  I'm sure she was worried sick, but the sense of urgency wasn't quite coming through to me on text.  She did say that they were both fine. 

I don't know how this works but of course the cell phones were down, but the internet worked.  Land line also worked so people used public phones to call their family and friends.  The vending machines stopped working but it was a good thing - you could get free drinks!  It seemed like the worst part of it all was that all transportation shut down.  My brother was able to walk home and my dad took the bullet train back to Osaka when it opened up.  So they are both fine, but they both said it was the worst earthquake ever. 

Everyone in Japan is scared, but they are all trying to stay strong for the people in the northeast who were most affected by the earthquake and the tsunami.  Nothing compares to the horror they experienced.  And with all these problems with the nuclear power plant, aftershocks, and possible tsunamis, it's not over yet.

I noticed that many people are feeling the need to come up with their own explanation of what happened.  I understand that this is how people are trying to comprehend what happened and that we all have different belief systems, but it amazes me how insensitive and apathetic some people can be.  I'm not talking about people that are just going about their daily lives.  If you weren't affected, you're not obligated to stop what you are doing.  You have to live your lives.  I have been touched by people who actually do stop what they are doing to offer prayers and good thoughts.  My tears came from not just the horrible images of the disaster but of people around the world, particularly the picture of Indian elementary school students having a candlelight vigil.

I'm talking about the people who come up with ignorant theories on why this happened.  I'm talking about the people who say this happened because the Japanese kill dolphins and whales.  I'm talking about the people who say that this is a result of the lack of religious faith in Japan.  Some even go as far as talking about WW2.  Funny how they make it sound like we deserved this.  What's funnier is that this kind of criticism is also coming from the MAYOR OF TOKYO.  Way to go.  What a great way to keep our spirits up.

I read about a Korean woman who tweeted something like the Japanese have flaws but please pray for them.  She didn't say this to criticize Japan but to call out to the people in Korea.  I commend her statement because she's absolutely right and this is exactly the time when we need to set our differences aside and work together.

Thank you to everyone who shared your care and concern.  Those of you who don't have anything nice to stay, just stay out of the way and keep your mouth shut, please.  We don't need negativity during time like this.

No comments: