2011 for me has been filled with pool tournaments. It's a big change since there really weren't much to play in until last year. Since the resurrection of the regional tour, I have something to work towards every other month or so.
In addition to the bi-monthly regional tournaments and the annual national championships in Vegas, I played in two other big tournaments. The first one was in Valley Forge, PA. I played in this tournament many years ago when I still lived in Pennsylvania, and I wasn't good enough to do much back then. I always wanted to go back and redeem myself but the distance always made it hard. It turns out who lives in that area is getting married in May but I can't go to her wedding since I'm already taking a week off in the same month. I decided to go out there and spend time with her while also trying out the tournament. Unfortunately I didn't play that well and was one out of the money!! The tournament also wasn't as exciting as I had hoped. Compared to the one in Vegas, this one was much smaller and the venue was filthy. It was well structured in a sense that you knew when you play and you weren't rushed.
Because I lost relatively early, I was able to spend some quality time with my friend and her fiance. I actually got to go try the famous cheesesteaks!! PA is not my favorite out of all the places I've lived, but it wasn't horrible either and I do miss the east coast from time to time.
Two weeks after this tournament, I played in the Regional Tour Championships in Houston, TX. This is where all the top finishers from the regional tours are invited to play for a tour card for the professional tour. There were some controversial changes implemented this year and all 64 of us had to play for 8 tour cards, including many women that were already playing in the pro tour. I heard later that I was the only person representing the So-Cal tour. Of course the majority of the people didn't know who I was. It was awkward but also kind of fun being the unknown player.
I actually made it to the last day of the tournament. There was one match I could have lost to be out of the tournament, but it came down to the last 9ball that was left in the pocket for me. I have to say that I played well this tournament, but also not beyond my skills, either. It's always nice to play your game but a little bit more would have helped. I finished 9 - 12th place, which was one win short of earning the tour card.
Nevertheless, this was a great experience. I played against some women that are well know, and were pretty much pros already. Since I've returned, I'm still playing well but not winning. I feel like I'm stretching myself thin and not fully committed to anything. I'm going to try to focus the best I can for the next one in May. I never know when it's going to be my last Vegas trip. I'm lucky to be able to play as much as I do, and to enjoy it as much as I do.
No comments:
Post a Comment