Many pool players play for money. Even if it's not for a lot of money it's a way for people to learn how to play under pressure. Some people play for table time to keep it friendly but somewhat competitive.
I just heard that a famous player in the LA area passed away. He was a legend but in the last few years he was banned from most pool halls and I never really got to see him play. Back when I started to go to Hard Times on Sundays I would sometimes see him around. He even asked me to play for time, probably so that he would get some free pool. I of course was not good enough to beat him, even though he was not nearly as good as he once was, but I figured why not play and learn.
This happened a few times. I'm not sure if I learned anything. He had this odd style I couldn't mimic. Not sure if he was hustling or he was just plain weird. Nevertheless he was still an amazing shooter and playing with him meant something.
The very last time we played he asked me to play for a jacket. He had just picked up a women's jacket from Goodwill and he wanted me to buy it if I lost. I told him we'll just play for table time since I didn't want the jacket. It was nice but it was too big on me and not exactly something I would wear. He insisted that we play for the jacket. FINE.
Of course I lost, and I had to pay him $9 to buy it from him. I told him I don't want the jacket but he can keep the money, but he still insisted. I was forced to take the jacket home with me.
Sorry...the jacket went back to Goodwill. I appreciate your offer but I really didn't want it :(
So this is my little memory of the legend.
RIP Cecil
No comments:
Post a Comment