Sunday, February 05, 2006

JANM

I posted this yesterday but it looks like it got deleted for some reason.

I went to the Japanese American National Museum in Little Tokyo with the kids on Friday. The recreational outings give me an idea of how much the kids know about culture, history, etc. and how I could help them gain new knowledge and interests. I think the museum provided them a whole new experience in terms of learning the history of Japanese Americans that not many people know about. I think this is true especially in other parts of the country where it is not as diverse as it is here in LA.

Anyways, here's an interesting conversation that took place at the museum:

Docent: This is a picture of Babe Ruth with....(talked about the Japanese Americans that were in the picture)
Student A: Wait, who's Babe Ruth?
Everyone: What! You don't know who Babe Ruth is??
Student A: Well I know, but I don't know what he looks like. (I believe he was the big white guy in the middle...)
Docent: (Continued talking about the picture)
Student B: Wait! Babe Ruth was Japanese!?

That would have been the best kept secret ever. I would have loved to see the docent's reaction to that remark...

1 comment:

ニューヨーク在住日本版パンダ said...

aaaaa koko wa itta koto aru yo. kekkou omoshiroi yo ne