Saturday, April 07, 2007

Children of Men

Very intense movie. I wanted to see it in the theaters but missed it. Saw it on DVD last night. I might see it again...liked it a lot. It's only loosely adapted from the novel, but I liked the changes they made (I haven't read the book). It's kind of like "Gattaca," if I remember correctly. I think they were trying to control the population and have superior offsprings, whereas there are no children at all in this movie.

As a social worker working with kids in a world full of kids, it's hard for me to imagine a world without them. I've run into mothers who give births left and right. I once worked with a family big enough to have its own football team! Anyways, since there are no kids in this movie, there are no schools, no juvenile delinquenty/juvenile justice system, anything pertaining to children. Damn, I'd be unemployed, too.

The main theme of this movie is supposed to be "hope," but it left me with a mixed feeling of sadness and warmth. I never realized how depressing it would be to be without children. The scene where the mother pats her baby on the back to help her burp was endearing. It must have been really cool to see the action scene (single shot sequence) with the military and the terrorists (I think...) in the theater. Amazing!

I couldn't help but wonder how the baby would turn out. The mother must have gone through a ton of stress trying to escape the government during pregnancy. Mom had to run all over the place before and after birth. Mom also had to dodge bullets as she ran with the baby in her arms. That can't be good.

No comments: