Then I started to see more of you and started to get annoyed! Honestly. I didn't like how you would always try to get the best players on your team. I even caught you trying to cheat at a tournament at Scarlet Lady one night. I remember clearly how you tried to switch your name with someone else's on the bracket! Unbelievable. You tried to pull some weird stuff at the Speakeasy, too.
Despite not liking you, you left a lasting impression. I saw you in your ponytail and velour outfit everywhere. Puma shoes became a regular part of your wardrobe, and other people around you started showing up at the bars and pool halls in those ugly shoes, too. You always had different cues, and even showed up with a guitar one day.
I don't exactly remember when things started to change. I know that I started to go meet up with you and our friends at Rusty's on Monday nights to play in the tournament and watch Karaoke. I would see you at the Speakeasy, Mayfair, Rae's, or Mr. Lucky's. Sometimes at House of Billiards. Come to think of it, you always brought everyone together. Things haven't been the same since you got sick.
Too bad we stopped our weekly workout with Dave at his house. We don't get to gang up on him anymore.That was a lot of fun and we started to play so much better!
One of my fondest memories is sharing the Milano cookies with you on Saturdays. You insisted that we share, no matter how many times I told you to just eat the whole thing, because you end up buying more anyway. You were also the one that bought the birthday cake when we all went to Rusty's for my birthday. That means a lot to me, and makes me happy every time I think about it. I was going through a rough time in my life, and that was one of the best days I ever had.
There was a time when we used to talk on the phone often and you got worried one day because my cell went straight to voice mail. I called to talk to you about a bit of a problem I was having, and you said that you're a lawyer, just didn't pass the BAR!! I would have been annoyed with that before, but that actually made me laugh. You really helped me survive with your wit and your sense of humor. You weren't even trying to be funny most of the time!
You came to pick me up at the airport when I went to Virginia. You just offered to do so even though you're nowhere close to the airport or my place. When you dropped me off, you came with me to show Harry your cane with a hidden sword inside. What the hell were you gonna do with it?? You've always been a little weird.
I hadn't seen much of you lately, but I'm glad I got to see you before it was too late. I still remember the last phone conversation I had and the last thing you e-mailed me. I was in DSW walking through the aisles of shoes as we complained about the recent dispute in our league. You were telling me about your trip to Florida, but I had no idea you were that ill. You always sent weird stuff to me and the last one was a Power Point file on Giant Mover. Weird. I wonder what you were trying to tell me the last time I saw you. You kept asking for a pen and paper but I didn't have anything with me. I guess I'll never know. and I'm sorry that you never got to read this or hear everything I should have told you. I hope you know that I miss you and I appreciate everything you've done for me. You had character like no other and my life will never be the same without you.
Love,
H
No comments:
Post a Comment