Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Hairy Armpits

Today was another follow-up with the doctor for my shoulder. I've been going to the doctor for about 9 months now, but what was different today was that I got a cortisone injection. He took out this syringe with a giant needle and shoved it into my shoulder. It wasn't like anything I've felt before. I could feel the cortisone going into my shoulder as he poked around inside. Not so much pain, but more pressure and discomfort. He told me to move it after a minute or so and it hurt!!!! It popped a little and felt like it's not supposed to move that way. We compared it to my right shoulder because it pops, too. He concluded that I have congenital looseness in my shoulders, but it has become a chronic problem for my left shoulder. We're supposed to discuss surgery next week because the ligament might be torn.

I've been talking to people and doing my own research on what this is going to be like. I'm not worried about the surgery but I'm very worried about the aftermath. My arm would have to be in a sling for a few weeks before I can move it at all. Good thing it's my left shoulder, but this still blows. Soooo many limitations I can think of....

1. Pool - Need to learn how to play one-handed. Can't even use a bridge!!!!

2. Putting shoes on - my friend told me to wear slip-ons because I won't be able to tie my shoes.

3. My hair - I tried washing my hair with only one hand. It's possible, but tiring and time-consuming. I have to figure out a way to set up my hair dryer so I don't have to hold it. It's probably going to look pretty bad, though. Maybe the homeless look will be in. Nah.

4. Taking off/putting on my clothes - I tried going to the bathrooom today. Not that I need both hands to do the business, but it's just so annoying to take my clothes off and put them back on with one hand. They should make bras for one-handed people.

5. Contact Lenses - I think I can do this.

6. Cooking & Cleaning - I guess my shoulder would be a reason not to do either, even though I really don't do either very often. I need to master one-handed cooking techniques and do bare minimum cleaning.

7. Driving - I tried doing this one handed. It wasn't too bad. Even with my left arm in a sling, I should be able to use my hand. I drive stick but I think it'll be OK. Not very safe, though.

8. Typing - If I put the keyboard close to my left hand, I might be able to do it.

9. Laundry - It's just going to be tiring with one hand. I don't know how I'm going to fold anything. Ironing might be tough, too.

10. Shaving my armpits will be out of the question. I won't be able to lift my arms. It's not like anyone including myself would see it anyway. It should be interesting to see what it would be like after a few weeks. Will be looking forward to that celebratory shave.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why not let both armpits grow out and be natural?

Hiroko said...

Good idea!

Anonymous said...

My wife stays natural and it is a wonderful sensual way to be! I love it! Good luck!